Have you been exposed?
What should I do if I’ve been exposed to asbestos dust?
Not everyone exposed will develop an asbestos related disease.
Because it takes a long time (10 to 50 years) for symptoms to appear, it is important to keep a diary of how the exposure happened, with notes about the following:
1. The date and address of where you were exposed.
2. Details of -
• Why were you in the area where the dust was caused?
• Were you working on the premises?
• Were you employed to remove/repair asbestos?
• Were you passing by, or a by-stander?
• Did you live close to the premises where the asbestos was located?
3. What was being done that caused the dust?
• Was it repair work?
• Was it removal of asbestos?
• Was it cleaning up after asbestos was repaired/removed?
4. Who was there at the time?
• Exchange names and addresses with those present, for evidence of the exposure.
5. Who was responsible for the activity being carried out?
6. Get details of the employer who scheduled the activity.
7. Try to find the name and location of the owner of the premises.
8. If you were employed on the work being done, keep your pay slips, group certificates, tax returns, etc.
National Asbestos Exposure Register
The Australian Government has created a register to record the details of members of the community who think they may have been exposed to asbestos.
If you think you may have been exposed to asbestos either during the course of your employment, at home or in the community, you can register your details by following this link and completing the form:
The National Asbestos Exposure Register is managed by the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency.
The agency strongly encourages registrants to use the online registration form but if you cannot do this, please email email@example.com to request a soft PDF form which you can fill out on your computer. You can then return the completed form to the agency by the same email address or fax to: (02) 6204 2029.
All information contained on the register is kept confidential and details will not be released to a third party without your express consent.
Monthly Social Mornings
Second Wednesday of
Location: L3, 60 Waymouth St